Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Long and Winding Road

Hey, why not, right? It's been almost a year since I last sat down and scribbled words onto a sheet of paper. Cruising at 32,000 feet, I figure that better ways to pass the next 90 minutes do not exist. My two travel companions sit nine and thirteen rows back, one of them a victim of a misread flight itinerary and an unprecedented demotion, if you will, to the "poor people section" of the aircraft. Fortunately for me, he's my best friend, so his anger was temporary and his jealousy-laden four letter words weren't too stinging.


This is our first trip together, Bruce and I, after nearly 17 months as co-workers. I joked this morning that it'd be an ill-fated adventure after learning that our office cafeteria was out of bacon and I was forced to opt for the sausage breakfast sandwich. My luck turned upon receiving a free upgrade to first class, and after the tumultuous 2010 I experienced with Delta Airlines, you better believe they're redeeming themselves by means of complimentary Bloody Marys.


We are headed to Cartersville, Georgia, the home of nothing but a Hilton Garden Inn and a hundred-foot tower which we will soon make our bitch. Obviously noticing the lack of productivity, proportional to the amount of paper balls being tossed about the office, Harris figured it best to send our supervisor along with us to keep us in check, and not allow an earlier tweet of mine, likening our tower climbing experience to an early-1990s robot boxing game, to occur. Dale sits squarely between Bruce and I on the flight, although from my cushy seat at the front of the plane, I cannot tell if he's watching or not.


Although the trip will be over by Friday, this opportunity is one Bruce and I have been awaiting for a while. He and I have both spent many a month in separate foreign countries, and have finally been allowed to do something together. Opportunities to goof off will be limited, which is probably for the best considering that we would like for Harris to give us these chances in the future (I've requested to be assigned to a 3-week stint in the State of Kuwait which Bruce is currently heading).


The last twelve months have had their share of highs, and for once the lows have been few and far between. I completed my first tour in the Philippines, and for whatever reason, liked it so much I requested another (longer) assignment there. I visited Europe for the first time. I spent a month in the aforementioned Middle Eastern nation of Kuwait. I've more than enjoyed six months and counting with a person as close to perfection as I've ever met. I became an uncle for the first time. Cliff Lee has thrown 6 complete game shutouts this season. I really couldn't ask for more, except maybe for gas prices to dip below $3.something per gallon.


With trips lined up to Vermont and Bogota, Colombia, I look forward to where these planes will take me, and to tell the tales of travel. As for right now, the next stop is Atlanta, where every TV in town will be tuned in to watch the Braves visit Philadelphia tonight. I promise I'll behave.

1 comment:

  1. really a nice post. i with my family visited Toronto and took airport taxi. i was really impressed with their service. it make our travel convenient.
    Markham Airport Limousine

    ReplyDelete